Are You a Candidate for LASIK?
If your dependence on glasses or contact lenses is constantly interfering with your lifestyle, you may be an excellent candidate for LASIK eye surgery. LASIK has become one of the most widely sought medical procedures in the United States because of how effectively it can correct myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), and astigmatism.
If you have one of the refractive disorders listed above, you are most likely a good candidate for LASIK. However, there are some basic requirements that you must meet in order to qualify for the procedure:
- 18+ years old – LASIK can only be performed after your eyes have fully developed.
- Good eye health – If you have an eye disease or eye infection, you will need to resolve it with the help of Dr. Brooks before undergoing LASIK.
- Controlled dry eyes – If you have dry eye syndrome, your condition will need to be adequately controlled both before and after LASIK surgery in order to avoid complications. Some patients with severe dry eyes may not be good candidates for LASIK.
- Not pregnant – Pregnant women will need to wait a minimum of three months after they have stopped nursing before undergoing LASIK.
- Good overall health – Certain medical conditions may disqualify a person from having LASIK. These potential issues can be discussed with Dr. Brooks during your evaluation.
Dr. Brooks will closely review your medical history and any current medications you are taking to ensure there is no potential for interference with the LASIK process. He will also perform a thorough screening to evaluate your candidacy in detail. If LASIK isn’t right for you, we can discuss alternative vision correction procedures, such as PRK or premium lens implants.
To find out if you are a LASIK candidate, please contact Brooks Eye Associates today or call (972) 736-9347 to schedule a screening with our experienced Dallas eye surgeon Dr. Dain Brooks. We serve patients in Plano, Frisco, and throughout Dallas, Texas.