Protecting Your Eyes From Sun Damage
With the bright summer rays beginning to stream down, our team at Brooks Eye Associates would like to remind you to protect your eyes from sun damage. Excessive exposure to the sun can cause damage to your eyes and even the skin surrounding them.
The sun’s ultraviolet rays and high-energy visible (HEV) radiation, also known as blue light, can damage your eyes, causing a variety of visual impairments. UVA light and UVB light can cause the following:
- Eyelid cancers
- Skin Cancers
- Macular degeneration
Along with the sun’s UVA and UVB rays, which are completely invisible, is HEV radiated light, which is visible. This light has been associated with the development of macular degeneration as well.
With all of this in mind, it is extremely important to protect the health of your eyes.
You can accomplish this by doing the following:
- Wear sunglasses that are 100% UVA and UVB protected and that absorb HEV rays
- Try to buy close-fitting or wrap-around sunglasses to protect as much of your eyes as possible
- If you have eyeglasses, buy prescription sunglasses, or buy clip-on sunglasses that go over your prescription glasses
- Always put protected sunglasses on children
- If you’re active, buy sunglasses that will stay tight to the face during recreation
- Even if you have UV-blocking contact lenses, always wear sunglasses
At Brooks Eye Associates, we hope you take precautions to protect your eyes from the sun’s harmful rays. If something seems atypical with your vision, please contact Brooks Eye Associates so we can help determine the cause and treatment. We serve patients in the Dallas, Texas area. Call (972) 403-1110.