In association with the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the doctors and staff of Brooks Eye Associates want to remind you and your family of the importance of scheduling annual eye exams.
April is a time for spring flowers, gardening and being outside. So, we’re encouraging those who enjoy working on home improvement projects and outdoor activities, like gardening, to protect their eyes while engaging in these tasks. Each year, thousands of eye injuries occur while at home. The good news is that most of these are preventable!
While gardening is a relaxing and fun way to spend time outside, it’s important to be aware of the hazards associated with it.
1) Poisonous Plants: Protect your eyes from plants such as Euphorbia, which can shoot a poisonous spray into the eyes.
2) Pollen: This is something we know all too well come spring-time. If pollen gets in your eyes, it can cause irritation and could possibly be poisonous to the eyes.
3) Gardening Chemicals: Please be careful when handling chemicals, of any kind, as these can cause serious damage to the eyes and skin as well as cause illness if ingested.
4) Sun Damage: Wear those sunglasses! Direct sun rays can lead to eye diseases and even permanent loss of eyesight.
5) Gardening Tools & Flying Debris: The machines we use to help us in our outdoor maintenance often fling debris up that can get into our eyes. These foreign bodies (substances such as dirt, grass, soil, insects, etc.) can cause irritation to our eyes.
As a means to protect your eyes while engaging in these activities, it’s very important to invest in durable, comfortable and easily cleaned safety glasses/goggles. We recommend that if you have sustained any type of eye injury that you schedule a quick and reliable eye evaluation to ensure that no harm was done. By scheduling an exam with your local eye doctor, he/she will be able to detect and address any kind of vision issue, disease or potential cause of blindness.
At Brooks Eye Associates we are aware of the risks associated with outdoor activities and home improvement updates. That’s why we are proud to announce that we have set aside times throughout the month for patients to come in for a comprehensive exam and to discuss recommendations to be proactive about eye injuries incurred during outdoor activities. Comprehensive evaluations are covered under most insurance plans, so save your vision through early diagnosis and treatment. Call our offices today at (972) 403-1110 to schedule your evaluation!